Image Map

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Winter Break and Bulletin Boards

As a teacher I'm still not used to such a long month before pay day rolls around again. So, during my time off I work at a camp in the next town over. While other teachers were sleeping in and getting things ready for the new year, I was watching another bunch of kiddos and dealing with midday meltdowns. I worked at this camp over the summer; some of the kiddos recognized me and others had no clue who I was or how I already knew their name. The camp splits up by grade and I was with the middle grades in the morning (2nd-5th) and the younger grades (K-1st) in the afternoon. Since the camp was near Christmas and New Years I found lots of fun crafts and cooking projects on Pinterest to do with them. My favorite craft was making party hats and having apple cider floats, so yummy! Working at this camp gives me the a more realistic view of teaching. At my school, I only have to deal with eleven different personalities, learning abilities and styles but they all know my expectations plus I've been working with them for five years so I know exactly how to create a successful project. At the camp, I could have up to 15 different personalities who are willing to push my buttons and test the limits. This also means adhering to different learning styles and abilities. Something fun to me, like doing write the room Christmas edition, may not be fun to those whose motor skills aren't as high; it may be challenging. All in all I love working at this camp because I have fun,  create new memories and the experience prepares me for my more realistic future. Two weeks and two sleep-in weekends later I was finally able to get into my classroom and get work done. Besides lesson planning I was able to work on four bulletin boards in the classroom:

 Our Welcome Back for the students
 Perfect for all those questions about breakfast and lunch!
 After purchasing a mini unit on Teachers Pay Teachers I plan to use a craft to complete this board.
My absolute FAVORITE board I did. Can't wait to see all the little penguins up there after art on Thursday.

***Update: The cute penguins are from Just Wild About Teaching’s Playful Penguins craftivity and printables and can be found here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Playful-Penguins-craftivity-and-printables--991033
One of the kiddos even added a candy cane to make them more festive!

Also in art today we made 2014 party hats and goals for 2014


The Applicious Teacher for her freebie New Year’s Resolution Tab Book that you can find here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/New-Years-Resolution-Tab-Book-1037478
The new years hat is courtesy  of A Cupcake for the Teacher’s Happy New Year! Freebie and can be found here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/happy-new-year-free-craftivity-1035207
 I loved reading what goals all the students had for themselves

All of these brilliant teachers gave my classroom a splash of 2014 fun!Go pick up their freebies and penguin unit, perfect for Winter!



As you can see, the life of the teacher continues even on our "breaks." My plans for this week include starting a unit study on shadows and Martin Luther King, Jr. 

Laissez le bon temps rouler! Let the good times roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment